When I left part I of this post I was doing a Scarlett O'hara from 'Gone With The Wind' -
"Oh I can't think about this now
I'll go crazy if I do
I'll think about it tomorrow
After all tomorrow is another day
Love that film
So let's recap, this is where I left off
trying to work out how many blocks
and how many squares in each block I would need to make the quilt larger.
It wasn't going well, my brain just doesn't do maths!
I made templates which helped.
But after all that exertion of the little grey cells I realised
I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH MATERIAL FOR THE AMOUNT OF BLOCKS I WOULD NEED...aaarrrghhhh..... what now?
Well I walked away, had a cup of coffee and then went back to it
Using the material I had I put more strips around the edges,
bought ¼ metre of material in a contrasting colour and pattern (top right of picture)
and put a wider border around it.
Adding a bit of contrast by putting a square block of colour in each corner.
The next job was to make binding for the edges using left over material.
The length of the binding was about 2" short!
Thank goodness I don't throw scraps away until the project is finished.
These 2 scraps of material came in very handy.
By joining them lengthways it was just about wide enough.
I then sewed straight lines through the material and fleece,
put a border around the edge
and voila the finished lap quilt.
The backing is fleece instead of the traditional material with wadding inside.
Fleece is warm and soft which helps sooth distressed children.
The lap quilts I make go to Project Linus
I'm so pleased its finished, I'm ready to start the next one now!
Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another
20th Oct 1859 - 1st June 1952
~Be warm and well ~