7 March 2018

A Good Read

The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian
Pilot Chip’s plane is struck by a flock of geese shortly after take-off. His attempt to land on the Hudson River goes terribly wrong and 39 people perish. Haunted by the accident, Chip and his wife, Emily, and their 10-year-old twin daughters move across country to Bethal in rural New Hampshire. 
Their hopes to recover from the trauma and rebuild their lives are hindered by a mysterious door (sealed with 39 bolts) in the basement of their dark creepy Victorian house, and some malevolent neighbours who have an unhealthy obsession with herbs and potions.
Chip plays out the crash scene in his mind over and over again, slowly driving himself mad. He is also visited by 3 ghosts, a woman, and a man and his daughter Ashley. They can’t “move on to the next world” The man insists that Chip sacrifices one of his daughters so that Ashley can have a playmate. Meanwhile the women of Bethal have their own agenda and are plotting a frightening ritual.

Harrowing descriptions of the plane going down, what happens next and how people died. Not to be read before planning a plane journey! It was slated on Good Reads and my book group didn’t like it but I did. Yes the plane crash was played out over and over again, but I think it was necessary to the plot of Chris driving himself insane. I was disappointed with the end but it was well written and held my attention throughout.



~Be warm and well ~
Polly x 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like one to be avoided until I get back from my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Polly,
    Thank you for the book review. It sound very interesting...but as I am already not comfortable in planes, I think it is best I skip it.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, Polly. I'm not sure I'd be so good with this one. Flying is NOT my preferred method of transport!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It is, but not everyone's cup of tea because of the plane crash descriptions.

      Delete
  5. Definitely not one for me then Polly, my fear of flying is already a huge problem.. when I make my twice yearly visits to Sydney I have to be almost comatose 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, I remember reading one of your posts where you said how terrified you were of flying but how much you wanted to see your family so you do it. I enjoy flying but I must admit to being a tad nervous after reading this!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...